[JakeShows] Rhode Island Folk Festival Aug 29 / Online Shows / David tribute website

Jacob Haller music at jwgh.org
Tue Aug 17 10:28:33 EDT 2021

Hi all,

I hope you all are having a good summer! (I was going to say ‘reasonably good’ but that seemed maybe a little TOO appropriate for the moment we find ourselves in.)

I’m going to do my first in-person show in exactly a year and a half! On August 29, I’ll be playing an early afternoon set at the Rhode Island Folk Festival. It’s a free festival, and I hope that you can make it! Details are below.

On another note, my cousin David’s memorial gathering was on Sunday, and (at my sister Charlotte’s suggestion) I put together a little website that gathers some of his musical recordings and videos. You can find it here:

http://davidhallermusic.com/ <http://davidhallermusic.com/>

The music is of course great, but also not to be missed is a story David’s brother Ben told about that time David built a throne for Solomon Burke, complete with pictures. Check it out!

And, finally, I have continued to do my weekly online shows. The most recent one, in which I played a bunch of songs that were inspirations for songs I’ve written, is still online here:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1116457566 <https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1116457566>

In it, I played Blind Blake’s ‘That’ll Never Happen No More’, Jimmie Rodgers’s ’T for Texas’, the blues standard ‘Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out’, Charlie Poole’s ‘Leaving Home’, the folk song ‘The Ballad of John Henry’, Robert Johnson’s ‘Kind Hearted Woman’, Dion’s ‘The Wanderer’, and Bo Diddley’s ‘I’m A Man’ (plus an original song, ‘Soft Spot’). I had never played some of the songs before, and the result is a bit on the ragged side, but still fun for me, and hopefully for the listener too.

Anyway, let’s get on to the upcoming shows!

Sunday August 29 - RHODE ISLAND FOLK FESTIVAL
----------------
WHEN: 12:35-1:05 pm
WHERE: The Songbird Stage, 560 Bullocks Point Ave, Riverside, RI

This is a 100% free festival with lots of great music! I'll be playing a set of songs on the Songbird Stage at the Providence Folk Festival, possibly with a special guest! The festival as a whole will go from noon to 6 pm, with lots of great music throughout the day. Bring a lawn chair or blanket and enjoy!

See https://rhodeislandfolkfestival.com <https://rhodeislandfolkfestival.com/> for parking and other information.

The festival organizers would like attendees to follow CDC guidelines, and so would I! https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html <https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html> East Providence currently has a new COVID rate of 105/100,000, putting it in the ‘high transmission’ category, so be cautious. With that said, the festival will be outdoors, in a park with plenty of space, so I am hopeful that it will be a fun, safe event for all!

Thursdays in August - LIVESTREAMS ON TWITCH
------------------
WHEN: 6:30-7:15 pm Eastern US time
WHERE: http://twitch.tv/jwghaller <http://twitch.tv/jwghaller>

I’m continuing to do these Thursday online streaming shows, to keep myself playing and help get myself in shape for the Rhode Island Folk Festival. It’s more fun with an audience, so if you have time and inclination, please stop by at twitch.tv/jwghaller <http://twitch.tv/jwghaller> !

And if you’re interested in watching, but the day and time don’t work for you, then get in touch with your preference, and maybe I will switch it up next month!

The remaining online shows this month are:
Thursday August 19, 6:30-7:15 pm Eastern time on twitch.tv/jwghaller <http://twitch.tv/jwghaller>
Thursday August 28, 6:30-7:15 pm Eastern time on twitch.tv/jwghaller <http://twitch.tv/jwghaller>

See you around!

-Jacob Haller