[LEAPSECS] plan B

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Aug 13 11:40:57 EDT 2007

On Aug 13, 2007, at 7:32 AM, Steve Allen wrote:

> those who want to abandon leap seconds are preparing to concede

> that if they can't have custody of the baby (UTC) then they want to

> officially adopt a new baby (GPS system time

It is certainly good to see movement - any sort of movement - from
WP-7A after all this time. My initial reading suggests that this is
a position I could support, but I'm not convinced I understand the
recommendation fully yet. I certainly don't know what the political
maneuverings have been over this.

> Anyone want to try to come up with a name for the new baby

It seems to me that "GPS" is the best brand name possible. The
marketing should be incredibly easy due to the massive deployment of
global positioning equipment. That's clearly the intent - the name
should reflect this.

Rob