[LEAPSECS] sometimes you don't know what time it is

Brian Garrett mgy1912 at cox.net
Mon Aug 27 14:27:28 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Allen" <sla at ucolick.org>
To: "Leap Second Discussion List" <leapsecs at leapsecond.com>
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 7:35 AM
Subject: [LEAPSECS] sometimes you don't know what time it is

> Here's a slightly moldy story mentioning systems which have implemented

> the philosophy "if I don't know what time it is then I can't function"

> http://mg.gpsworld.com/gpsmg/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=418420

The author seems to be conflating his GPS knowledge with NTP. A Stratum-1
server is a time server that is getting its time directly from a reference
clock; the stability of said clock has nothing to do with it. In fact, if
you are synced to GPS then the satellite would be stratum 0.

I'd be interested to know if CDMA cellular networks were disrupted more than
others. CDMA is the only cellular telephony protocol that requires perfect
sync between *all* parts of the network including handsets. GSM services
such as T-Mobile and The Network Formerly Known As Cingular couldn't care
less what time it is (although they do need precise time interval).

Brian Garrett