[LEAPSECS] Leapsecs Listserve Moving.

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Feb 1 11:03:54 EST 2007

On Feb 1, 2007, at 8:42 AM, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> This whole monthly thing, while technically allowed in the UTC

> standard, as a practical matter won't happen for a long, long time.

The lack of care taken worldwide in implementing this standard is a
large reason the rather silly proposal for leap hours has arisen.
Pick some other random standard - residential plumbing or electrical
wiring or what have you. How much patience would we have if simple,
explicit provisions were ignored? The June/December, March/September
wording of the document serves as a pragma - a hint to Daniel
Gambis. The rest of us really ought to be prepared to accept a leap
second on any schedule permitted by the standard.

The word "practical" is taken to have a very strange meaning in civil
timekeeping.

Rob