[LEAPSECS] nails in the coffin of mean solar time

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Jun 14 17:37:55 EDT 2007

In message: <4671B3BD.5010903 at cox.net>
Greg Hennessy <greg.hennessy at cox.net> writes:

:

: >> A notable difference between these versions and previous ones is

: >> that the CGPM's UTC shall be interpreted by the Secretary of the Navy

: >> as well as NIST.

: >

: > So the final determination of the policy issue (yea or nay on leap

: > seconds) shall be whether the US military industrial complex believes

: > there are more risks in continuing leap seconds (tested over 35 years)

: > or in a boundless DUT1 (never tested, heretofore negligible for many

: > applications).

:

: No, I expect that means that Ken Johnston of the US Naval Observatory

: will make the call. Or more precisely Dennis McCarthy.

I gather the efforts are a mere technical correction. I wonder if
there will be a good time to ask at the Time and Frequency Metrology
Seminar at NIST this week :-)

Warner