[LEAPSECS] nails in the coffin of mean solar time

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Fri Jun 15 00:04:53 EDT 2007

On Thu 2007-06-14T18:37:09 -0400, Greg Hennessy hath writ:

> I also don't consider the laws in question to be of any appreciable

> difference over what the current status is.

There is no practical difference now, but the passage would relinquish
almost any notion of sovereignty of the US over the characteristics of
its legal time scale. If BIPM/CGPM were to redefine the meter as
something which changed from its current value in a quadratic sense
there would be general outrage. These bills would give ITU-R leave
to redefine the notion of day and night for the US.

Speaking of ITU-R, there has been and is ongoing activity in the US
Department of State preparing to approve actions by various US working
party delegations to the ITU-R WRC-07 which is in October, but no
obvious action by the US WP7A in preparation for the ITU-R WP7A
meeting in September.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855