[LEAPSECS] nails in the coffin of mean solar time

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jun 15 12:46:34 EDT 2007

In message: <20070615163810.GA12093 at cox.net>
Greg Hennessy <greg.hennessy at cox.net> writes:

: > As I have said before: if astronomers played their hand wisely,

: > they'd say "We can live without leapseconds if you give us $N to

: > handle the transition", they might be able to get some nice

: > upgrades to instrumentation out of this.

:

: Doesn't that work in the other direction as well? Can't computer folk

: say "we can live with leapseconds if you give us $N to handle it?" You

: might get some nice upgrades to hardware out of this. . .

Since it is the status quo, it is very hard to get $$$ for upgrades to
equipment that basically does the right thing already...

Warner