[LEAPSECS] leap hour in the news

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Mar 5 11:58:01 EST 2007

The US media have broken the pregnant silence by putting the daylight
time change on the front page, with pictures. The previous change in
DST dates was 20 years ago when computers were not generally relied
upon as clocks and "oops" was enough to explain being an hour late.

I expect far more disruption of society from this 1 hour change with
only 2 years of notice than has ever occurred from a 1 second change
with around six months of notice. I consider it far more likely
that this week may be the impetus to bring general agreement that no
parliamentary/legislative/executive agency should make any change in
civil time scales without five years of notice.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99845