[LEAPSECS] Tripping over the International Date Line

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Mar 7 12:58:59 EST 2007

On Mar 6, 2007, at 6:44 PM, John Cowan wrote:

> Rob Seaman scripsit:

>> Once Mean Solar Time is safely eradicated, perhaps we can move on to

>> stamping out the dastardly International Date Line :?)

> The Phileas Foggs of the world will thank you, I suppose.

The class "Phileas Fogg" likely contains only Michael Palin (and
entourage) in addition to Fogg (and Paspartou, of course) himself.

Recall that it was the IDL that saved the wager. By traveling
eastward, each day was a few minutes shorter, but Fogg gained an
extra day as compensation. On average, he deposited 24 hours/80
days, or 18 minutes/day into a temporal "bank account", and then
withdrew the savings of one day when he returned to England. If he'd
noticed, he could have withdrawn the full extra day halfway through
the trip, but this would have dampened the drama quite a bit.

Alternately, he could have traveled westward. Each individual day
would be longer at the cost of losing a full day halfway through.
The question is whether Fogg could have made productive use of the
extra 18 minutes per day.

If the assertion is that excursions of up to an hour are invisible,
how about redefining the day to have 23 hours? Seven billion people
would then each pick up more than an entire extra day per month, for
an aggregate benefit of 291 million FTEs annually. Now there's an
economic justification for a timekeeping change!

Anybody know if there are similar estimates of the economic benefit
of Daylight Saving Time?

Rob