[LEAPSECS] choose the form

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Fri Aug 15 02:09:52 EDT 2008

It's getting close to the time when WP7A will be deciding on the
fate of leap seconds.

I am willing to agree that the underlying time scales of broadcast
signals and computer systems need to be free of leap seconds.

I am not willing to agree that civil time can drift from the sun.

I also maintain that the "right" forms of the zoneinfo files already
are proof of concept. They demonstrate that computers can have an
uniform underlying time scale while still providing a civil time scale
that has leap seconds. The technical issues are basically solved.

Inspired by Seidelmann and Fukushima's pictorial form, I have been
working on these
http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/deltat.html
I'm not done with details and decorations, but the basic ideas are
there now.

What remains is for the ITU-R to choose the form of the future.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855