[LEAPSECS] choose the form

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Aug 15 12:38:08 EDT 2008

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Thanks, a much needed conversion :-)

Steve is just saying what we've always said - there are two kinds of
timescales and civil time needs to honor both. It isn't the
astronomers (also science software system engineers) who have failed
to be open minded about how this is achieved.

> fiddling with it in hour-size bits every few hundred years is much

> more likely to work than one second bits ever other year, so that

> would be my preference.

Preference has nothing to do with it. What are the requirements for
the system? To discover the requirements, consider the use cases. To
uncover the pertinent use cases, state the problem clearly. Not one
of these things has happened. Hence candidate solutions to this
unstated problem remain an issue of preference, not system engineering.

Rob Seaman
NOAO