[LEAPSECS] WP7A status

Matsakis, Demetrios matsakis.demetrios at usno.navy.mil
Tue Dec 16 12:26:19 EST 2008

There is a mistake in the viewgraphs, which the authors will correct in
any other reports they generate. This is the reference to URSI.

I was the person who chaired the URSI Commission J working group, and
later chaired the URSI-wide working group on the matter. Every report
noted that no significant opposition or support for a change came from
within URSI.

The first survey I did, now outdated, reached through the internet to
anyone who chose to respond. I did receive more negative opinions than
positive ones from the general public. But the absolute numbers were
small, and none were URSI-related. Then that commission WG completed
its job, and I chaired an URSI-wide group that did a second survey, 3
years later. This went only to URSI and the only responses we received
were abstentions.

On the basis of six years of non-expression of interest from their
constituency, the URSI secretariat made a unanimous decision to not
respond to the ITU-R's Special Rapporteur Group's letter, and my working
group was disbanded.

Historians may note that this provides two rare instances of a committee
being formed, doing its job on time, and then terminating itself.