[LEAPSECS] WP7A status

Pete Forman pete.forman at westerngeco.com
Tue Dec 16 12:35:59 EST 2008

At 2008-12-16 16:07 +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/cgsic/meetings/48thmeeting/Reports/Timing%20Subcommittee/48-LS%2020080916.pdf

I cannot get to that web site but the words are in Google's cache.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:www.navcen.uscg.gov/cgsic/meetings/48thmeeting/Reports/Timing%2520Subcommittee/48-LS%252020080916.pdf

If I'm interpreting them correctly, they are leaning towards
suppressing leap seconds. They do not spell out what might replace
them so presumably they are to allow abs(DUT1) to become greater than
a second, then some.

This implies to me that some latter day Pope Gregory will decide that
he is fed up with the inaccuracy of his sundial and slap on an
intercalation. Why is that sort of consequence not mentioned in the
report?

--
Pete Forman -./\.- Disclaimer: This post is originated
WesternGeco -./\.- by myself and does not represent