[LEAPSECS] WP7A status and Re: clinical evidence about time and sun

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Dec 22 09:36:38 EST 2008

In message <037BA1CD-DA84-4AE9-8623-657F4CF8E3AC at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

>3) My own point of view focuses on the requirements for "wall

>clocks". Civil timekeeping has (heretofore) been mean solar time

>[...]

You mean "has been within a couple of hours of mean solar time" ?

>4) The ITU proposal is basically an assertion that people don't care

>about mean solar time.

The fact that the majority of the earths population use a legal time
that is more than 15 minutes different from mean solaer time, would
seem to support the ITU in this.

Have you or others provided any documentation for the opposite claim ?

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe