[LEAPSECS] civil-solar correlation with TI

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sun Dec 28 01:55:30 EST 2008

M. Warner Losh wrote:

> How is the Olson database fundamentally different than the

> historical data that a future historian would have based on the

> measurements of the delta between what we call today TAI and UT1

> times? It is just more data for them to swizzle into their

> calculations?

Because a mean solar clock is automatically a stable subdivision of
the calendar - stable over long periods of time as well as
geographically. Noon on two different days is separated by an
integral number of days no matter what period of time separates the
two dates and how the length of day may have varied in the interim.

There is no swizzling needed if civil timekeeping remains tied to the
Sun.

Rob