[LEAPSECS] Schedule for success

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Dec 30 11:50:25 EST 2008

In message: <4959D539.9250.F80A007 at dan.tobias.name>
"Daniel R. Tobias" <dan at tobias.name> writes:

: On 30 Dec 2008 at 12:36, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

:

: > The most important document in this respect is POSIX btw.

:

: That's a kind of geek-centrism on your part to elevate a computer

: technical standard over all the millennia of legislation and cultural

: practices regarding timekeeping... I'm pretty geeky myself, but I

: still find it to be putting the cart before the horse.

Actually, it is quite relevant, because that's where most of the cost
of implementing leap seconds comes from.

The reason to have standards is to lower costs, not to raise them.
Leap seconds raise costs and have unproven benefits (eg, a low DUT1 is
a feature, but who really cares about that feature)?

Warner