[LEAPSECS] Schedule for success

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Dec 30 20:42:46 EST 2008

In message <20081231012433.GA14690 at ucolick.org>, Steve Allen writes:

>On Tue 2008-12-30T17:57:27 -0700, M. Warner Losh hath writ:

>> If rocket-scientists can't get the relatively simple nomenclature of

>> this topic right, what hope is there for the average engineer?

>Not enough in the current scenario, given that the ITU-R docs are

>proprietary to the point of inaccessability [...]

We're clawing for straws now, aren't we ? :-)

http://science.nasa.gov/realtime/rocket_sci/clocks/time-gmt.html

States:

Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) became a time standard in the
19th century for British maritime navigation. [...]. In
1970 the Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) system was devised
by an international advisory group of technical experts
within the International Telecommunication Union (ITU).

Notice the little tidbit in the grey box:

Actually, GMT is measured from noon whereas UTC is measured
from midnight. However, few use the noon measurement and
refer to GMT as if it were actually UTC.

Given that GMT traditionally is a 12h clock, I wonder if that is still
the case...

Poul-Henning

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe