[LEAPSECS] Schedule for success

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Dec 31 00:05:27 EST 2008

In message: <p06230907c5809b279ff1@[192.168.0.5]>
"Jonathan E. Hardis" <jhardis at tcs.wap.org> writes:

: >The NIST web pages also make the wikipedia-cited claim that the ITU

: >chose the apellation "UTC".

: >

: >http://tf.nist.gov/general/misc.htm#Anchor-14550

: >

: >I can find no evidence to support this, and much evidence to refute

: >it. Perhaps the evidence is buried in one of the private documents

: >shelved in Geneva...

:

: Steve,

:

: We're talking about a technical decision made in 1970, not 1790.

: Many of the people involved then are still around, active in the

: field. If this story were not true, don't you think that SOMEONE

: would have spoken up about it by now?

Steve has documented a profoundly dysfunctional community that did
thing without proper consultation. He's further documented apologies
for past bad behavior, as well as producing many of the primary
sources to back up his assertions. Based on this history, I'm
inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt in this area. In the
past, he's expanded the refuting evidence at length.

: 'Fess up. Do you think the moon landing the year earlier (1969) also

: lacks evidence to support it?

There's much independent evidence to support this... So it is
different...

Warner