[LEAPSECS] Schedule for success

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Dec 31 13:31:06 EST 2008

Without trivializing the details, what you are describing could
equally be taken as an argument for getting rid of GPS :-) Nobody is
suggesting this, since GPS is useful. I'll skip my disclaimer about
there being two kinds of time, but if a system requires two timescales
then it must handle the edge cases. And if it doesn't require two
timescales, the edge cases shouldn't appear. Your edge cases
themselves remind me of similar issues with astrometric solutions.
Getting these right can be a challenge. That doesn't mean that there
isn't a requirement to get them right.

However, your description is similar to nothing so much as arguments
against using the metric system that focus on a bunch of paradigm
smashing conversions to avoirdupois. The point I was trying to make
was that the ITU could simply focus exclusively on GPS. As I said,
the standard time issue would then be a separate question and you
would be free to make a case for your point of view. In fact, the ITU
could pawn off standard time on some other organization entirely.
Don't they only care about telecommunications infrastructure? Aren't
they the ones claiming that civil timekeeping is something else
entirely?

In the mean time, you presumably wouldn't have to pay a 20 minute
penalty if you aren't using the UTC features. Considering that the
ITU's vision of UTC in the future still wouldn't be GPS, it is by no
means clear that the 20 minute overhead would go away. Sounds like
another good issue to explore to improve the proposal.

Why does the ITU itself appear to dislike GPS?

Rob
---