[LEAPSECS] a modest proposal

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Feb 12 11:18:08 EST 2008

In message: <alpine.LSU.1.00.0802121600530.14814 at hermes-1.csi.cam.ac.uk>
Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> writes:

: On Mon, 11 Feb 2008, Joseph S. Myers wrote:

: >

: > If a system has a timestamp and exports an interpretation of that

: > timestamp, and another system stores that interpretation or a second

: > timestamp derived from it, and then one system changes its interpretation,

: > the timestamps are no longer in sync between the two systems.

:

: This can even happen within a single program, if one code path gets time

: straight from the kernel, and one goes via the tz code. At the moment

: these are guaranteed to be consistent when the time zone offset is zero.

: Steve's idea removes this guarantee, which is likely to lead to bugs.

I can 100% guarantee that there will be bugs. I've seen lots of code
that knows these two sources of time are the same. Because, like why
would there be more than one notion of time...

Warner