[LEAPSECS] 2007-12-31 23:59:60 Z (sic)

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Jan 1 21:48:02 EST 2008

M. Warner Losh said:

> I think leap seconds are evil, and must die, but I think this

> antiquated way of distributing leap seconds may be the root of most

> evilness in the current scheme.

The entire ridiculous discussion (and the unilateral attempt to
steamroller a "solution") does come down to whether leap seconds are
regarded as a necessary evil.

It would be refreshing to design a time distribution system from the
top down, starting with an unbiased requirements discovery phase. I
don't give a damn for leap seconds, after all - rather, I'm a staunch
supporter of maintaining civil mean solar time as distinct from
interval time.

Magnus Danielson wrote:

> For use on the Internet (important scooping, there are many non-

> internet based systems out there, some for a very good reason) a

> very simple means of achieving is by using DNS.

See the NTP working group: