[LEAPSECS] events? (was Fwd: TICTOC questionnaire)

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Jun 13 17:04:45 EDT 2008

Hi,

This questionnaire has been going around in support of the TICTOC
effort. I was taken by the very first question regarding the new
protocol:

> PROTCOL DETAILS (those who do not feel we should develop a new

> protocol may skip)

> * What needs to be present in timing distribution packets ?

> Only timestamp(s) ?

> Internal algorithm parameters to improve accuracy ?

> Events (leap seconds, etc)

First, one has to ponder whether any time distribution protocol
actually transports timestamps, per se. Rather a local clock is
synchronized to remote clock(s), but the timestamps originate from the
local clock.

But it struck me that we have often used language, as here, that
treats a leap second as a physical "event". This is not correct.
(And I say this as chair of an international working group to describe
astrophysical events, see http://voevent.org.)

An event implies a measurable quantity - a simple or complex data
structure representing one or more empirically determined parameters.
That is, the report of an event conveys dependent variable(s)
expressed on a grid of independent variable(s), typically time.

As we have discussed long since, however, a leap second is purely a
representational artifact superimposed on an underlying monotonic
timescale. Nothing "happens" at a leap second - at least, nothing
that isn't introduced (rightly or wrongly) by our systems themselves.

Intercalary scheduling may provoke state transitions in our systems.
These state transitions may employ some event driven design paradigm.
But these are choices made by an architect, not requirements implicit
in the system.

Rob Seaman
National Optical Astronomy Observatory
--