[LEAPSECS] [ntpwg] Further to the timestamping issue

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Jun 19 14:48:34 EDT 2008

> This discussion should go to LEAPSECS and leave NTPWG.

I'm copying it over there. Please remove ntpwg from further replies.

> POSIX specs for zoneinfo already require enough complexity to handle

> the leap seconds, and the mechanisms for updating the zoneinfo files

> are well tested. All that's needed is to rename the time scale used

> in broadcasts, NTP, and POSIX time_t.

Just to be clear, the realization of UTC would then occur locally via
zoneinfo mediated leap seconds. This is quite different from the
notion of letting the timezones slosh around.

> All of the missing bits would be much easier to solve by putting

> leap seconds in zoneinfo than by messing with NTP.

If we could escape from the artificial crisis generated from the
relentless ITU shenanigans, we would have time to focus on
characterizing the problem before suggesting solutions.

Rob