[LEAPSECS] operational time -- What's in a name?

Greg Hennessy greg.hennessy at cox.net
Fri Mar 28 14:37:18 EDT 2008

> > > although naive math is, well, naive, more code exists that assumes,

> > > for example, that midnight it time_t % 86400 == 0 than you want to

> > > believe. Changing this is really bad karma.

> > The current situation is that code like your example does not accurately

> > reflect reality.

> The POSIX standard guarantees that what Warner wrote is correct.

I'm not arguing if Warner is correct or not if he claims that POSIX
claims that time_t % 86400 == 0 means midnight. I'm also not arguing
that he is correct that lots of code assumes this.

My claim is that if POSIX defines time_t % 86400 == 0 as being
midnight than POSIX doesn't reflect reality, since people think
"midnight" as being UTC rather than POSIX. POSIX may define 2+2=5, but
if it did it wouldn't be correct.