[LEAPSECS] operational time -- What's in a name?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Mar 28 19:30:05 EDT 2008

On Mar 28, 2008, at 4:12 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> The thing that seems to be widely overlooked by technologists,

> possibly by the high-IQ crowd in general, is that Moores law does

> not apply to wetware, and consequently, there very much is a fixed

> upper limit for how much technology you can push on the general

> population.

Excellent points - I'll buy the first round if we're ever at the same
conference. Most Mac users would take credit for saying it first :-)

"High-IQ" is an adjective devoid of semantic content, however. See SJ
Gould's "Mismeasure of Man" or Gardner's Multiple Intelligences.
Binet invented IQ to discover the underperforming tail of the curve,
not "smart people".

> We can do the stiff upper-lip and thumb our noses at this well

> documented phenomena, or we can accept it and realize that successful

> technology in the future is that which makes things simpler instead

> of more complex for people.

100% agree, but the definition of "simpler" is "maps elegantly onto
the real world". The Earth does rotate, the Moon does steal its
angular momentum, the Sun does illuminate our lives.