[LEAPSECS] operational time -- What's in a name?

Brian Garrett mgy1912 at cox.net
Mon Mar 31 14:45:52 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Seaman" <seaman at noao.edu>
To: "Leap Second Discussion List" <leapsecs at leapsecond.com>
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 10:43 AM
Subject: Re: [LEAPSECS] operational time -- What's in a name?

> Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

>> Tony Finch said:

>>> So you think that the millions of existing radio controlled clocks and

>>> watches should stop showing civil time?

>> They already do.

> Case in point: When the local Red Cross center relocated a couple of

> years ago, new RC "atomic" clocks appeared over each blood donor station.

> [snippage]

> Rather, a clock that claims extreme accuracy (through overtly extreme

> precision) must ultimately be layered on a well designed system of

> traceable time signals. RC time signals are meaningless (no matter the

> underlying timescale) if the logistical issues (as described by Steve,

> for instance) are ignored. Logistics keys on developing a coherent model

> of the system being operated.

> It is not enough to simply create a single perfect clock. The perfect

> clock demands a matching distribution protocol. The ntpwg mailing list

> makes interesting reading if one is tempted to believe this is a solved

> problem.

> What kind of clock does the Red Cross require? Focus on the use cases,

> not the technology.

> Rob Seaman

> NOAO

It surprises me that the Red Cross needs this kind of accuracy to begin
with. The only reason a blood bank would need reasonably accurate clocks is
that the units collected have to be used within 72 hours according to
regulations, or so I've read. Surely at least a few minutes leeway is
allowed, and NIST-traceable accuracy is overkill. (Commendable overkill,
sayeth the anal-retentive geek side of me, but overkill nonetheless.)

FWIW, blood banks are usually located in buildings with _lots_ of
fluorescent lights. Good luck getting a radio-controlled clock to work in
an environment like that.

Brian Garrett