[LEAPSECS] the inescapability of feedback

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Mar 31 21:56:14 EDT 2008

On Mon 2008-03-31T00:55:55 -0700, Rob Seaman hath writ:

> It is a neat trick to accuse one party (scientists) with the crime of

> the other (politicians).

I will stipulate that both the ITU-R and the IAU are guilty of
politics, and move on.

There is a stark difference in the written record between the
actions of the CCIR/ITU-R and the IAU. The CCIR/ITU-R processes
hold meetings of working groups which produce documents that are
not broadly published and sometimes result in changes by fiat,
within a span of a single Plenipotentiary Cycle, which have
side effects which are not always addressed in advance.
The IAU processes usually stretch over decades with a series
of conferences that produce openly published literature treating
every side effect anyone can think of.

On Mon 2008-03-31T08:06:54 -0600, John E Hein hath writ:

> If UTC no longer has leap

> seconds or the computers use Steve's TI or similar

International Time, Temps International, TI is not my invention.
I was not at the Colloquium on UTC that the ITU-R WP7A held in Torino
in 2003. TI is the result that was produced at the end of that
meeting. See page 3 of the closure/conclusion produced by Ron Beard

http://www.ien.it/luc/cesio/itu/closure.pdf

The ITU-R called for international experts to come and provide advice,
and the advice was to change the name.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855