[LEAPSECS] The relation between Easter and leap econds.

Peter Bunclark psb at ast.cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 10 09:18:35 EST 2008

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <alpine.LSU.2.00.0811101155370.30582 at hermes-1.csi.cam.ac.uk>, Tony F

> inch writes:

> >My point is that user requirements change. The relation between natural

> >phenomena and our consensus idea of time depends on how accurately and

> >quickly we can measure those phenomena, and which phenomena we care about

> >tracking.

> Couldn't the opposite argument be made: The majority of users don't care

> a hoot about time (ref: flashing 12:00 everywhere) and therefore the

Don't be ridiculous, everybody cares about missing a bus or a favourite TV
show.

> scientists and engineers who have to care, are free to implement

> any working solution ?

Again, you've got a solution but no clearly stated problem.

> After all, with the cavalier attitude politicians have to time, (ref

> timezone changes with short notice, century old laws etc), I can't

> see any good coming out of involving them.

We're all involved. The gulf between narrow-minded politicians and
tunnel-visioned computer programmers must be bridged as part of the
process.

> In other words: WP7A may not be the best place, but it is probably

> as good as any.

Not until it is fully open and inclusive.

Pete.