[LEAPSECS] The relation between calendars and leap seconds.

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Nov 12 04:46:56 EST 2008

Steve Allen said:

> Here's an interesting point. Nobody misinterprets GPS time.

> Nobody tries to extrapolate it backwards and make algorithms

> about proleptic GPS time. That's because GPS time simply

> did not exist prior to 1980-01-06. Nobody can screw it up

> because GPS time is exactly and only what the US military

> wants it to be.

No, it's because there are no applications where people need to say "what
would my GPS receiver had said in 1751?". Whereas people do need to
represent older times in (say) POSIX time.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Work: <clive at demon.net> | Tel: +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert | Home: <clive at davros.org> | Fax: +44 870 051 9937