[LEAPSECS] Synchronization requirement

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Nov 12 14:12:02 EST 2008

Gerard Ashton said:

> This would make the current

> civil time definitions inadequate, because at least one country,

> the UK, specifies Greenwich Mean Time as their basis of civil time

> and failed to address proposals to clarify whether this means

> UT1 or UTC.

You fail to understand what they are. Greenwich Mean Time is a very clearly
specified thing - it is solar mean time at Greenwich. You can debate
whether it means UT0, UT1, or UT2, but it is clearly not UTC. And I don't
believe the choice of 0, 1, or 2 is significant.

[Query: I'm not clear what the maximum difference is between UT0 measured
at Greenwich and UT1, but as I understand it |UT1-UT2| < 0.04s. Is that
right?]

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Work: <clive at demon.net> | Tel: +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert | Home: <clive at davros.org> | Fax: +44 870 051 9937