[LEAPSECS] Synchronization requirement?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Nov 14 11:50:59 EST 2008

My point was that some applications have requirements more tied to
relative timekeeping, than to absolute timekeeping. Universal
usability (a rather loftier goal than I think anybody is actually
pursuing) wouldn't imply that such a universally "usable" timescale is
optimum for all purposes. Conversely, there are many examples of
using task defined timescale for some specific purpose - this says
nothing about the design goals for a generally useful civil timescale.

In any event, the goal of system engineering is not to identify the
optimum solution, but rather, a satisfactory solution.

Rob