[LEAPSECS] princes

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Oct 29 07:53:54 EDT 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Steve Allen wrote:

> On slashdot last month the discussion about the USNO poll on leap

> seconds in broadcast time signals degenerated into one largely about

> daylight time. On contributor pointed out something notable: Civil

> Time has always been the purview of princes.

Before the invention of reliable clocks, time was a matter for the sun -
though princes still fiddled around with the calendar. As well as the
egregious example of the pre-Julian Roman calendar, I'm amused and
disgusted by the anti-Jewish fiddles in the rules for determining Easter
to minimise when it coincides with Passover.

> That poster did not mention Machiavelli, but I think that's very much

> the point.

Perhaps because he predates clocks :-) Also in his time Christendom had
had a stable calendar for over 1000 years, which is pretty good.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
LUNDY FASTNET: NORTH OR NORTHWEST, BACKING SOUTHWEST FOR A TIME, 4 OR 5