[LEAPSECS] drift of TAI

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Sep 13 16:57:10 EDT 2008

Zefram wrote:

> David Malone wrote:

>> The cueues for this frequency shift look just like a 4 hour phase

>> shift every day.

> Except that it's a continuous `shift', rather than an instantaneous

> four-hour jump.

>> Of course, there could be a long-term adaption

>> I guess.

> That's what I'm expecting. With jetlag you're expected to retain the

> same frequency and shift phase, so there's no adaptation to a different

> frequency.

>> Unless you were living divorced from daylight, it's unlikely this

>> is your natural period.

> I had *some* exposure to the outdoors, but this was only a couple of

> percent of the time, when taking buses between home and campus. Half the

> time this did not involve sunlight. At both ends of that journey I

> lived a completely indoor existence, without unobstructed sight of an

> external window. So desynchronisation seems quite feasible.

> Probably relevant: before the free-running period I was accustomed to

> irregular sleep periods that had little synchrony with the planet.

> Even when I had lectures to go to, I kept completely ad hoc hours.

> In those years I could shift phase to an arbitrary extent within

> two days, by simply staying up until the bedtime of the target phase.

> Nowadays I've become conditioned to working (approximately) office hours,

> and I seem to be much more tied to the regular cycle: I have difficulty

> staying up as much as 24 hours. When I need to, though, I still break

> phase entirely rather than shift gradually.

>> http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/1999/07.15/bioclock24.html

> Interesting work. This still, like the discredited earlier work, shows

> a biological cycle longer than the natural solar day. Evolutionarily

> you'd expect us to be built for a shorter cycle, since the Earth rotated

> faster in our evolutionary past. But the day was only a few minutes

> shorter when our ancestors switched from nocturnal to diurnal behaviour,

> so there shouldn't be much in it.

>> a 28 hr day is long enough to prevent people's hormones getting in

>> sync with the day.

> They're drawing a strong distinction between the hormone-controlled

> circadian rhythm and actual sleep/wake rhythm. I hadn't thought about

> this before. On those occasions when I've stayed awake for lengthy

> periods of time, occasionally 60 and once over 70 hours, I've certainly

> had periods of lowered body temperature and lower physical activity,

> matching what they describe for the hormonally-sleepy phase. I recognised

> it as such at the time. But the regular 40-hour cycle was different.

> As I recall, I just didn't feel sleepy at all until I'd been up more

> than 20 hours. The cycle of 24 hours awake and 16 asleep felt like a

> normal circadian rhythm, not overriding the natural state at any point.

No, no, no... with the new SI second based on the observation that a
second is 10639620104 and 1/6 oscillation from the hyperfine transition
of Cs-133. 100 ks becomes just a day.

Let's keep the prespective here! Also, 1 meter is the precission
calibrated distance from my fingertip to my noise, assuming of course
that I have been given the necessary beers before you are allowed to
measure. Instability of measures can't be guaranteed otherwise.

Cheers,
Magnus