[LEAPSECS] drift of TAI

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Sep 15 11:23:29 EDT 2008

> In message

> <cb07d04cda3f9f6971383889137ead54.squirrel at rubidium.dyndns.org>, "Ma

> gnus Danielson" writes:

>>Everything is arbitrary as base scale and division.

> Uhm no.

> All bases larger than 2 are arbitrary and all scalings are arbitrary.

> But base 2 represents the fundamental counting system, and as such is

> is unique.

You may still choose any base, which was my point. I agree that base 2 is
much more convenient, but nothing suggest you must choose base 2 or we
would have picked it for general counting much easlier. We have two hands,
so it is not too far fetched.

> This has been acknowledged since Leibnitz.

> However, following the subsequent mathematical proof that the choice

> of base makes no difference to any kind of math, apart from expense

> of ink and paper to write the numbers, base-2 was left alone until

> somebody much later got the heritical idea to drive thermionic

> valves way pas their linear behaviour.

The insights of Liebnitz was several thousand years to late for the choice
of propper base. We may grumble at this fact and move on. But for a
completely normalized world it would be possible choice and probably.
However, even if we rescale everything one unit would probably be required
to be the master unit which would scale everything else even if every
orhter arbitrary unit conversion factor (other than pure mathematical
relations) is canceled out.

There where plans for converting Sweden to a base 8 country, but I don't
have the TAOCP I need at hand to give the details.

Cheers,
Magnus