[LEAPSECS] drift of TAI

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Sep 15 12:47:12 EDT 2008

On Sep 15, 2008, at 7:50 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <cb07d04cda3f9f6971383889137ead54.squirrel at rubidium.dyndns.org

> >, "Ma

> gnus Danielson" writes:

>> Everything is arbitrary as base scale and division.

> Uhm no.

> All bases larger than 2 are arbitrary and all scalings are arbitrary.

> But base 2 represents the fundamental counting system, and as such is

> is unique.

The place value system itself is a design artifact. Also, calling
something "base 2" doesn't denote a unique encoding. 1's complement?
2's complement? Gray code? BCD?

The initiation into the secret society of computer scientists includes
a requirement for mastery of binary notation. This is similar to ham
operators having to master Morse code. (I believe this requirement
has been relaxed.) Everyday citizens don't know Morse - and they
aren't fluent in binary arithmetic.

Decimal and sexagesimal notation persist because over centuries and
millennia lay people have demonstrated the ability to reach a minimal
level of competency. Which is to say that, for whatever reason, they
are better tailored to our purposes.

Rob