[LEAPSECS] ISO 8601 Z designator improper before 1972?

Richard B. Langley lang at unb.ca
Mon Feb 9 14:13:11 EST 2009

Quoting Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>:

> In message <625029C6E1F142B688CEBEDECDFAD8C9 at grendel>, "Gerard Ashton" writes:

> >Similarly, within ISO 8601, "Z" designates "UTC" and any meaning it may

> >have had for most of the 20th century outside that standard is irrelevant.

> The meaning 'Z' had before ISO8601, and which ISO8601 codified, was "UTC".

> If you look at the Canadian time-station CHU's QSL card:

> http://flickr.com/photos/bneely/223853969/

> You will notice that the timezones have letters on the illustration

> on the wall. It is not clear to me if the zero meridian have 'N' or

> 'Z' as designator.

Neither. It is "M." I have a scan of a B&W photo of the painting if anyone is
interested.
-- Richard Langley

Richard B. Langley E-mail: lang at unb.ca
Geodetic Research Laboratory Web: http://www.unb.ca/GGE/
Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering Phone: +1 506 453-5142
University of New Brunswick Fax: +1 506 453-4943
Fredericton, N.B., Canada E3B 5A3
Fredericton? Where's that? See: http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/