[LEAPSECS] Pre-1972 UTC

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Feb 17 07:27:12 EST 2009

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009, Steve Allen wrote:

> And that means that the POSIX epoch encompasses almost as much

> proleptic fantasy as the use of UTC (or GMT) for the 1601 epoch. The

> observatory at Greenwich wasn't commissioned for another 75 years, not

> until after 3 coronations and a civil war. I barely want to mention

> Microsoft's use of the 0001 epoch in .NET

And the Airey transit circle didn't exist until 1850. The observatory at
Kew provided official time for London from about 1770. I don't know when
Greenwich took over that job.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
GERMAN BIGHT HUMBER: SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7. MODERATE OR ROUGH. SQUALLY SHOWERS.