[LEAPSECS] A new use for Pre-1972 UTC

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Feb 17 16:56:30 EST 2009

They avoid the issue by piggybacking on the current model. A Notary
Public has a commission assigned by some locale. I'll take their word
for it that this breaks down by country/state. (One could wish they
called this province or locale or some such.) The SHA disambiguates
the case of a particular Notary resetting their clock to sign a later
modified copy of a document.

Nothing stops the epoch from simply being incorrect. That is an issue
for a court to resolve should it become pertinent. Similarly if
someone masquerades as a notary. There would otherwise have to be
some sort of certificate exchange to extend the trust model.

Rob
---