[LEAPSECS] Automation

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Jan 1 11:41:41 EST 2009

Tony Finch wrote:

> The lack of automation is a recipe for mistakes, but leap seconds

> can't be automated because they don't occur on a predictable schedule.

They can't be naively automated. The schedule is currently
predictable 6 months in advance. Nobody has objected to a longer
schedule; we're positively giddy to give it a try. NTP is proof of
concept that automation is possible once the schedule is released.

Of course, the benefits of naive automation are precisely what the ITU
is trying to take away from UTC. Leap seconds are the price of
preserving easy access to knowledge of Earth orientation.

Since the problem space has never been fully explored, we haven't even
speculated on ways to improve the automation associated with
timekeeping.

Rob