[LEAPSECS] Reliability

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Jan 2 12:14:19 EST 2009

Hi Richard,

Yes, it's certainly true that sundials show apparent solar time. I
looked into buying or building a state of the art sundial when we
moved into a new house a few years back. The cost can be staggering,
so this was hard to justify, but the state of the art is pretty spiffy
these days.

Apparent is not more real than mean, however. Like I said, it depends
on point of view. By combining multiple measurements of apparent
apparitions, one attempts to recover an intrinsic parameter of the
planet - mean solar time.

Another point of view is gain vs sensitivity (as used in Janesick's
CCD bible, for instance). Gain relates successive steps in a process
in a forward direction. Sensitivity recovers them in a backward
direction. Photons from astrophysical sources are more fundamental
than electrons from solid-state detectors, and electrons more
fundamental than the DNs from A/D converters. Image processing
measures DNs to characterize photons, however.

We measure apparent positions of solar system objects, comets as well
as the Sun, in order to characterize the more fundamental parameters
of orbital elements and the spinning bodies following those orbits (as
well as weird and wonderful higher order wobbles).

The Earth is spinning like a top. Its rate of spin is what we're
interested in for civil time. Far from denying this fact, both the
current UTC standard and the ITU proposal rely on the high regularity
of mean solar time for them to be even conceptually possible.

If we focus on ways to improve the logistics of the approximation
scheme (without abandoning the underlying requirement), we'll reach
consensus.

Rob
---

On Jan 2, 2009, at 6:18 AM, Richard B. Langley wrote:

> Rob:

> Just sending this offlist. Forward if you like. A conventional

> sundial directly shows

> apparent solar time.

> -- Richard

> Quoting Rob Seaman <seaman at noao.edu>:

>> Tony Finch wrote:

>>> Not really, because mean solar time is also artificial and can't

>>> exist