[LEAPSECS] temporal turf wars

Matsakis, Demetrios matsakis.demetrios at usno.navy.mil
Sat Jan 3 08:54:48 EST 2009

I agree with Tom about GPS. Over the past decade both GPS's delivered prediction of UTC(USNO) and GPS time have been getting closer and closer to UTC(USNO), modulo 1 second and as measured by the RMS. That is mostly due to improved GPS clocks, but tighter steering was implemented about ten years ago, and other algorithm improvements have also been made. GPS III's times will adhere even closer to UTC(USNO) - because clocks, algorithms, and official specs are being improved.

While I can't speak for the USNO's sister-institution, I do remember the paper referenced below. It was presented at a PTTI meeting by someone who at that time was an employee of NIST and this must be why they include it in their reprint library. I am quite sure that it does not now represent nor ever has represented any official position of NIST in any way. However, USNO did at one time host a web page that included UTC(tvb)!