[LEAPSECS] Reliability

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Sun Jan 4 23:20:38 EST 2009

On Sun 2009-01-04T20:58:29 -0700, Rob Seaman hath writ:

> Here's a notion I don't recall seeing before on the list:

> Coordinate leap seconds with leap days. Introduce an integral number

> of leap seconds each February 29th. Discuss.

This ignores the existing operational systems, and in particular NTP code.
Any change must be congruent with existing operational systems, and
that means nothing more than one second leaps at end of June or December.

It also does not address the underlying problem, which is
discontinuity in the broadcast time scale.

I think the "must not adversely affect existing operational systems"
clause is an inviolable rule for this process. It's like the
physician's "First, do no harm" rule.

I'd like to think that "makes life better for some parties and not worse
for any party" is also paramount in this process.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855