[LEAPSECS] [time-nuts] Leap Quirks

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Jan 5 10:20:08 EST 2009

In message: <496214F4.1090304 at rubidium.dyndns.org>
Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> writes:

: Rob,

:

: Rob Seaman skrev:

: > Magnus Danielson wrote:

: >

: >> time_t = d*86400 + h*3600 + m*60 + s

: >

: > Just thought I'd note an alternate interpretation. In NOAO's widely

: > distributed image processing system (IRAF) a sexagesimal number is a

: > double precision floating point number, not an integer:

: >

: > 12:34:56 = 12 + 34/60 + 56.0/3600

: >

: > Wherever a float can appear, a sexagesimal string is permitted. Our

: > version of printf includes %h and %H for turning a binary float back

: > into dd:mm:ss.s or hh:mm:ss.s.

: >

: > A particular application may need to count integer seconds (as in our

: > own date and time library, perhaps), but the need is remarkably

: > infrequent. For the vast majority of cases sexagesimal numbers behave

: > like floats.

:

: Hate to nitpick you, but that is a different representation, not a

: different interpretation.

:

: The floating point number is thus in hours, is that more practical than

: say days?

And how are leap seconds represented in this convention?

Warner