[LEAPSECS] [time-nuts] Leap Quirks

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Jan 5 11:47:41 EST 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Rob Seaman wrote:

> But since just over half the states don't adjoin a timezone boundary with

> another state (I count 27), the statistics are actually more remarkable - more

> than half of U.S. states near a timezone boundary have chosen the awkward

> route of splitting their timekeeping needs.

The reason for this is that it's LESS awkward to keep the same time as the
nearest major city than for time zone boundaries to follow state
boundaries.

> I would take this as evidence that people actually care about solar time.

DST became popular and continues to be popular because people like to
start their day soon after sunrise. DST is the only effective way of
getting everyone to make seasonal adjustments to their timetables so that
it is convenient to get up earlier in the summer.

The locations of timezone boundaries (and their tendency to drift
westwards) and the existence of DST are examples of how social
requirements override the scientific principles of time.

DST has nothing to do with solar time as defined by astronomers. If
anything it is a rebellion against astronomers' noon-based time.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
SHANNON: CYCLONIC 4 OR 5, BECOMING SOUTHEASTERLY 3 OR 4. ROUGH. SHOWERS.