[LEAPSECS] [time-nuts] Leap Quirks

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Jan 5 13:34:22 EST 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Rob Seaman wrote:

> The recent leap second passed (yet again) with no major issues.

Wrong.

Loads of Oracle RAC servers crashed because of a bug triggered by the
clock going backwards.

http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg13857.html

Many time dissemination systems got it wrong, as usual.

I wonder why OS vendors don't ship ntpd preconfigured with a leapseconds
table that is updated as part of the OS's normal patching process. I hope
that would reduce the amount of manual maintenance required for stratum 1
servers and increase the reliability of NTP's leap second handling.

Obviously leap seconds are so important that we can't do without them,
but so unimportant that it doesn't matter that we can't get them to
work properly.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
FORTIES CROMARTY FORTH: SOUTHWEST 4 OR 5, INCREASING 6 OR 7, PERHAPS GALE 8