[LEAPSECS] [time-nuts] Leap Quirks

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Jan 5 14:47:05 EST 2009

In message: <alpine.LSU.2.00.0901051931110.10002 at hermes-1.csi.cam.ac.uk>
Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> writes:

: On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, M. Warner Losh wrote:

: >

: > : I wonder why OS vendors don't ship ntpd preconfigured with a leapseconds

: > : table that is updated as part of the OS's normal patching process. I hope

: > : that would reduce the amount of manual maintenance required for stratum 1

: > : servers and increase the reliability of NTP's leap second handling.

: >

: > Does ntpd actually use the leap seconds table in preference to what

: > remote systems are telling it? I recall years ago trying to configure

: > things and not being able to make this work reliably...

:

: Dunno - the documentation isn't clear, and the implementation seems to

: have changed in various ways over time. Part of the problem is that the

: protocol's support for disseminating the full table is mixed up with the

: autokey authentication mechanism, though the current documentation on the

: website makes it look easier than the man pages on my oldish FreeBSD box.

: See the "leapfile" option at

: http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/miscopt.html

Yea, that page hasn't changed since I tried this. I'll have to do
some experiments locally to see if I can make this work...

Warner