[LEAPSECS] Reliability

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Jan 6 04:59:53 EST 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Brian Garrett wrote:

> However, I believe I can safely say that you time lords need not worry

> about what the general public thinks in regard to having clock time

> match the sun's position in the sky, or the "noon becomes midnight"

> scenario. The unwarshed (sic) masses may have cared about that when

> society was still mostly agrarian (maybe farmers still do, but even they

> have to contend with DST imposed by us city folk :)), but very, very few

> of us get up with the chickens as a cultural necessity anymore.

The reason DST exists is to more closely sync our activities to sunrise.
People do care about hours of daylight, but the alignment doesn't need to
be very precise. 12:00 will never drift to midnight because we'll adjust
our timezones to compensate (assuming no changes in our cultural
relationship to time).

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
VIKING NORTH UTSIRE SOUTH UTSIRE: SOUTHWESTERLY VEERING NORTHERLY, 6 TO GALE