[LEAPSECS] Reliability

Nero Imhard nimh at pipe.nl
Tue Jan 6 17:31:52 EST 2009

On 2009-01-06, at 22:35, Adi Stav wrote:

> I am trying to identify a requirement for civil time having a low

> (say,

> below 30 minutes) DUT.

I would say that the actual requirement is for DUT to stay within a
small interval. Of course this also implies a low DUT, but debating
the need for a low magnitude tends obscure the real issue: the size of
the interval within which DUT is allowed to wander.

The assertion has been made that DUT could grow to 30 minutes or even
an hour just fine because people also tolerate not living exactly on
the central meridian of their time zone and also cope with DST.

I believe this to be false. People's tolerance for being some fixed
time offset (modulo 1 DST hour) away from their "time meridian" has
nothing to do with their tolerance for this value to drift.