[LEAPSECS] Reliability

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Jan 7 14:09:21 EST 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Rob Seaman wrote:

> Alternately, by relying on shifting timezones, there would be no

> underlying stabilized civil timescale permitting commonsense timekeeping

> inferences by humans.

What do you mean by "stabilized" here? Atomic time is the basis of our
most stable time scales. I don't think perturbing a timescale to follow
the erratic slow-down of the earth can reasonably be called "stabilizing"
it.

What common-sense inferences do you have in mind? Most common sense is
wrong, especially when it comes to time.

> Imagine a version of the Gregorian calendar that interpolates leap days

> only every 400 hundred years. That would amount to about 3 months at a

> time. Since this is a whole season, it is equivalent to not stabilizing

> the calendar at all.

> Leap hours or tweaking timezones can be interpreted the same way.

Not really. An hour in a day is more like a couple of weeks in a year, not
three months. Two weeks is less than the variability caused by intercalary
months in lunisolar calendars.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
BISCAY SOUTHEAST FITZROY: NORTHEASTERLY 4 OR 5, INCREASING 6 AT TIMES.