[LEAPSECS] GPS, iPhone, daylight time in Brazil

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Nov 19 17:55:03 EST 2009

M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <20091119193503.GU9994 at ucolick.org>

> Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> writes:

> : Note that no leap seconds were required for this booboo:

> : An anecdotal description of why it's important to know what time it is,

> : and how daylight time can interact with GPS time ...

> :

> : http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1448990&cid=30148314

> Ah, the joys of time zones....

> My 2G iPhone I guess is a blessing since it doesn't have GPS time :).

> Of course, you don't know the exact time with GPS, potentially, for 28

> minutes from a cool start too, but at least that's on topic of

> leapsecond mailing list :)

Actually, that is what you expect to be resolved from the normal AGPS
that the combination of 3G iPhone and GPS actually is, which also
happend to not operate correctly in this case. Ah well.

The 49,7 days blunder of Win95 had a recent re-occurance in the Motorola
Android phone which autofocus is buggy in a period of 49,7 days, working
properly for 24,8 days and non-functional the next 24,8 days. Both used
32 bit counters of ms for system time, but Microsoft used unsigned int
while the Motorola autofocus routine used signed int. Amusing in itself.

Cheers,
Magnus